Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Biology Software

I have had personal experience with both Ecobeaker and Evobeaker from SimBio. This software allows students to construct and run simulation programs from school computers. Some of the concepts investigated are extremely sophisticated, and more readily accessible if actually seen.

I've done the Isle Royale simulation as well as the Domesticating Dogs sim. I think one of the most enjoyable features of these programs is that once you master the basics, you can start playing with them and seeing results. For example, you can change the amount of plants, moose, and wolves and see how changing one variable affects the entire environment. Students can immediately see how one member of a food chain affects the entire web.

I have not used the other programs, but I am sure they work similarly. Ecological and evolutionary processes exist on a timeline that can't actually be seen or experienced in a classroom. These simulations show students how these concepts apply by actually watching populations or environments change through time. For an inquiry-based classroom, the use of these programs could be invaluable for student learning.

I know that when I get a teaching job, I am going to lobby my department head for these programs!

4 comments:

  1. These games/activities seem like a great way to teach about the ecosystem and how food chains work. Like you said, it will take a little while for students to get down the basics, but the experience will definitely be worth it. Not to mention these types of activities are often more engaging to students because they are out of the ordinary, and ofter fun compared to the normal "Drill and Kill" methods often used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh kewl! I wish my science department had programs like that. These kinds of programs would be wonderful for visual and kinesthetic learners! I suppose that if you were to take the time to teach the students how to use the program, the students will be more apt and open to utilizing the program. If there is a class that can't quite grasp the concepts, the teacher can use the program as a demonstration, which may be just as beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also used Ecobeaker and Evobeaker in a classroom before. I think the programs themselves are engaging and constructive. I think the programs were well designed to be challenging and allow students to explore concepts independently. However, I remember not enjoying using these programs as a student because of the way they were used in the course I was taking. They were such a clear break from our normal labs and activities for the shake of using technology and completing a worksheet. In my practicum field experience, the students in my dual enrollment class are using a similar software to run simulations of fly labs applying Mendelian Genetics. The students say they really dislike the virtual labs. I think part of the problem with the use of these programs is that teachers use them to take a break from teaching and classroom discussions. They teach and then allow the simulations to affirm what they taught through long individual interaction with a computer and question guide. I think to be used effectively, these programs should be combined with activities that engage students and explain key concepts. I think students would explore more and grasp concepts better if they were able to work in small groups with software programs such as Ecobeaker and Evobeaker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This definitely seems like a fun way to teach about ecosystems. The entire concept of adding a new factor to an ecosystem, or taking one away, was something I've always thought was interesting. It sounds like this program can harvest those curiosities in students and allow them to see what would happen. I would be interested to see what the other sims are like, because it peaks the little interest in science that I have due to it's interactive nature.

    ReplyDelete